Representing ARCA for the first time at the Canadian Arts Summit, I was invited, along with six other “fellows,” after responding to an open call with a letter listing my participation in various arts advocacy committees in the previous year. I had done the work. My preconception of the Summit was grounded in a vague impression of exclusivity, restricted to a circle of mostly Toronto-based arts establishments with budgets over 5M$. Face-to-face meetings are humanizing: the programming was solid and informative and the less formal conversations demystifying. »Read more
ARCA and member Le Regroupement des centres d’artistes autogérés du Québec (RCAAQ) are partnering to promote and bring artist-run centres’ publishing to market at the Vancouver Art Book Fair to take place at the Vancouver Art Gallery from October 3-5. ARCA has commissioned Mariane Bourcheix-Laporte to produce a catalog of stellar publications selected from our »»
The members of the Artist-Run Centres and Collectives Conference met recently to debrief the results of the latest Artist-Run Centres multi-year operating program peer evaluation for 2014-2017. The following is an overview of their observations and the basis for further discussions and actions.
The “Questionnaire” and “Notes on Space” produced for the workshop are offered here under a Creative Commons licence (free to share, but with attribution and no derivative works) as a preliminary, rather than prescriptive toolkit in keeping with the 'case by case' reality of facilities undertakings.
The Artist-Run Centres and Collectives Conference (ARCA) will publish its first Online Directory of Artist-Run Centres in the fall of 2014. This Directory replaces the one that, until 2010, was published every four years by the Regroupement des centres d’artistes autogérés du Québec (RCAAQ). The online directory will introduce every artist-run centre and collective in Canada, and provide basic information and a direct link to each organization’s website for more complete information. The electronic format will facilitate regular updates, provide searchable fields, and ensure easy and free access to everyone, in both official languages.
Recently, Artexte has developed a unique open access digital repository for documents in the visual arts in Canada called e-artexte. The Publisher’s Toolkit, shared here in ARCA's resource page, provides an introduction to the platform, a user’s guide as well as additional information and resources.
ARCA has recently agreed, along with the museum associations (CMA and CAMDO) to extend the CARFAC fee schedule for another three years with yearly increases of 3%, until 2015, for a cumulative increase of 9,27%. Expanding on this, the ARCA membership is in agreement with the principle that fees should be paid, and be subject »»
ARCA at the 17th Annual Canadian Arts Summit
ARCA visits centres in Edmonton and Calgary, March 2014
On my way to Banff to attend the Canadian Arts Summit, I visited artist-run centres in Edmonton and Calgary to meet with colleagues, some for the first time. In Edmonton, ARCA president and director of Latitude 53 Todd Janes accompanied me on a tour of centres, including SNAP and Harcourt House; In Calgary, I was greeted by AAARC president Su Ying Strang of The New Gallery and taken on a quick tour of Untitled, Stride, and the New Gallery, all located in new spaces, before joining the gathered artist-run leaders for a meeting at Truck in their new industrial location a little on the edge of things. »Read more
The Advocate’s Tool Kit
What riding is your centre located in? Is your MP on the Heritage committee? Or is your MP one of the Heritage Department Critic?And, have you started thinking about Canada 's 150th anniversary celebrations? Read this fascinating report for a peek inside the Standing Committee on Canadian Heritage's meeting on the topic? To build relationships with your local political representatives and make the role of artist-run centres better known, you can get involved by... »Read more
- For your info - http://t.co/vw5cKMf9Dy July 24, 2014 from Facebook
- Pour votre info - http://t.co/P9yQfiyUKP July 24, 2014 from Facebook
- Augmentation du financement au Conseil des arts du NB; les fonds seront alloués aux programmes d'aide aux artistes! http://t.co/gvac5LyMbS July 24, 2014 from Facebook
- Funding increase to ArtsNB to be spent on funding programs to help professional artists http://t.co/z2AgwnYTaW July 24, 2014 from Facebook
- Job Posting: Distribution Coordinator | Vtape http://t.co/C3kZXjilaq July 24, 2014 from Facebook
- Sait-on si ces coupures auront un impact sur les programmes de subventions salariales si importants pour les... http://t.co/1LPtwjxIQm July 22, 2014 from Facebook
- FUSE Magazine – PUBLIC NOTICE REGARDING COPYRIGHT http://t.co/I3GFCWkKv1 July 18, 2014 from Facebook
- Check it out! À vous! http://t.co/adghR8HKSG July 18, 2014 from Facebook
- L’ARCA et Le Regroupement des centres d’artistes autogérés du Québec (RCAAQ) collaborent pour promouvoir et... http://t.co/madnhnjTd1 July 12, 2014 from Facebook
- ARCA and member Le Regroupement des centres d’artistes autogérés du Québec (RCAAQ) are partnering to promote and... http://t.co/MKzOtdBWsY July 12, 2014 from Facebook