Joining in the celebration of MAWA’s 30th anniversary, ARCA will hold a plenary assembly from 5 to 7pm, Thursday October 2nd at La Maison des artistes visuels in Saint-Boniface. Active members of the local artist-run scene as well as those from the nations-wide artist-run community in town for the symposium are invited to join the ARCA board members representing nine artist-run associations in an exchange on what is currently at stake in artist-run/centred culture. »Read more
The Artist-Run Centres and Collectives Conference (ARCA) is once again proud to be joining the Arts Day on the Hill campaign organised by the Canadian Arts Coalition. This advocacy action brings together arts leaders in all disciplines from across Canada. Participants, organised into smaller, mixed groups, meet with Senators, MPs and senior officials. The purpose of the meetings is to discuss the important role that federal policies and programs play in solidarity with our organisations. This year’s ARCA delegation includes Todd Janes, ARCA president and director of Latitude 53, Edmonton and Anne Bertrand, ARCA director.
On October 19-20, ARCA will attend the 9th annual National Arts Service Organisations meeting taking place in Ottawa in partnership with the Canada Council for the Arts. This year’s organizing committee - including ARCA again this year - has built on last year’s success by planning a two-day meeting which affords more opportunity for participants to share expertise and network with peers and funders. This year’s meeting's focus is on research initiatives in the arts sector.
The Biennale d’art performatif de Rouyn-Noranda, operated by L’écart, is hosting the 2nd edition of the Performance art networking meeting bringing together some twenty organisations from across Canada. Expanding on the first edition organised and hosted in October 2012 by LIVE, Vancouver, BC, the second meeting has invited a few more artist-run centres and collectives to deepen the discussion on networking presenters in order to better support performance art practices and their artists.
In a conference call on Wednesday September 10, 2014 with the members of the Visual Arts Alliance (VAA), Sylvie Gilbert, head of the Visual Arts Section of the Canada Council for the Arts, announced a major consultation initiative on the Council's operating program. There will be 11 regional meetings each with approximately 20 individuals in each city. This process will be facilitated by a professional consulting firm, and include an online survey and blog to be made available in the coming weeks.
The members of the Artist-Run Centres and Collectives Conference met recently to debrief the results of the latest Artist-Run Centres multi-year operating program peer evaluation for 2014-2017. The following is an overview of their observations and the basis for further discussions and actions.
The Artist-Run Centres and Collectives Conference (ARCA) will publish its first Online Directory of Artist-Run Centres in the fall of 2014. This Directory replaces the one that, until 2010, was published every four years by the Regroupement des centres d’artistes autogérés du Québec (RCAAQ). The online directory will introduce every artist-run centre and collective in Canada, and provide basic information and a direct link to each organization’s website for more complete information. The electronic format will facilitate regular updates, provide searchable fields, and ensure easy and free access to everyone, in both official languages.
ARCA has recently agreed, along with the museum associations (CMA and CAMDO) to extend the CARFAC fee schedule for another three years with yearly increases of 3%, until 2015, for a cumulative increase of 9,27%. Expanding on this, the ARCA membership is in agreement with the principle that fees should be paid, and be subject »»
ARCA plenary to coincide with MAWA’s Feminist Art Throwdown
ARCA at the Vancouver Art Book Fair, October 3-5, 2014
ARCA and member Le Regroupement des centres d’artistes autogérés du Québec (RCAAQ) are partnering to promote and bring artist-run centres’ publishing to market at the Vancouver Art Book Fair to take place at the Vancouver Art Gallery from October 3-5. ARCA has commissioned Mariane Bourcheix-Laporte to produce a catalog of stellar publications selected from our vast artist-run network, available for purchase through the RCAAQ’s bookstore, »Read more
A Preliminary Toolkit for Thinking about Space and Facilities
The “Questionnaire” and “Notes on Space” produced for the workshop are offered here under a Creative Commons licence (free to share, but with attribution and no derivative works) as a preliminary, rather than prescriptive toolkit in keeping with the 'case by case' reality of facilities undertakings. »Read more
- New spin on familiar topics: panel discussions by the Elephant Artist Relief Society, Calgary http://t.co/8t6IM2wFRz October 30, 2014 from Facebook
- À la rencontre des organismes nationaux de service tenue la semaine dernière, Simon Brault, nouveau DG du CAC,... http://t.co/z6reYYKNyF October 29, 2014 from Facebook
- At last week's well attended National Arts Service Organistions meeting, Council's CEO Brault shares his vision http://t.co/s4B1NK6aBY October 29, 2014 from Facebook
- Best wishes "@ArtMetropole: born 40 Years ago today, on October 26, 1974" http://t.co/INBagUCE5C" October 26, 2014 from Twitter for Android
- @kghiggins: So inspiring to see artists walk the talk October 26, 2014 from Twitter for Android in reply to kghiggins
- Would a network for disability artists be of value? Great question! #UAAC October 26, 2014 from Twitter for Android
- In a room full of student chatter waiting for keynote by Jenn Polk to begin #rethinkingsuccessaftergradschool #UAAC October 26, 2014 from Twitter for Android
- Disturbing news following #ArtsDay on the Hill where members of @ARCCC_CCCAA and entire arts sector met and... http://t.co/xa7jtSTuDW October 22, 2014 from Facebook
- RT @akimboart: Calling all #emerging #artists - Apply for FREE SPACE to exhibit + sell work @artistprojectTO Deadline: Nov 1 #TAP15 http://… October 22, 2014 from Twitter Web Client
- RT @BNLMTL: Nous sommes heureux de vous annoncer que #BNLMTL2014 est lancée ! Retrouvez le programme complet: http://t.co/xHrWbYwFXZ October 22, 2014 from Twitter Web Client