On November 15 -16, ARCA attended the Media Arts Network of Ontario (MANO) meeting titled Evolve or Perish, a title surely intended to provoke discussions on how the gathered media arts community is responding to The Canada Council for the Arts "change agenda". The two day long symposium, organised by recently appointed MANO director Ben Donahue and event coordinator Jane Kim was introduced by keynote speaker Clive Robertson. The symposium coincided with Galerie SAW Gallery ART STAR 5: Witness and Testify, a video art biennial providing participants with two evenings of curated shorts. »Read more
What riding is your centre located in? Is your MP on the Heritage committee? Or is your MP one of the Heritage Department Critic?And, have you started thinking about Canada 's 150th anniversary celebrations? Read this fascinating report for a peek inside the Standing Committee on Canadian Heritage's meeting on the topic? To build relationships with your local political representatives and make the role of artist-run centres better known, you can get involved by...
ARCA’s board of directors will be meeting in Montréal, on Thursday and Friday February 27 and 28 2014 at 2 Sainte-Catherine Est. Members of local artist-run centres are invited to meet ARCA’s representatives by joining them at the opening reception of Daniel Canty’s exhibition titled Bucky Ball at Artexte information centre on the Thursday February 27th at 5pm, and to join members of l’Association des groupes en arts visuels francophones (AGAVF) taking part in the jè-st’, festival d’art performatif et d’intervention (Moncton, septembre 2011) book launch at the Formats bookstore, next door.
The Canadian Coalition for the Arts has just ended the Arts 308 campaign launched last October. Described as the longest campaign ever conducted by the Coalition, it was successful in delivering key messages to 122 members of parliament either in person, or via social media. The federal budget has since been unveiled and reveals almost no changes to arts funding.
In the spirit of sharing knowledge, representatives of the nine regions are encouraged to produce regular reports on recent events, challenges, and projects that are of interest for the entire network of artist-run centres.
Our colleagues at CARFAC National are asking the community to contribute to their fundraising campaign in support of their Supreme Court Appeal for the fair payment of artists at the National Gallery of Canada. As a collectivity that believes in the payment of artist fees, ARCA encourages those who can to donate generously. CARFAC & RAAV are also advocating for the inclusion of Artist’s Resale Right to the Canadian Copyright Act as has been done in at least 69 other countries. Why not show your support by sending your MP an email requesting his or her support for this bill?
ARCA has recently agreed, along with the museum associations (CMA and CAMDO) to extend the CARFAC fee schedule for another three years with yearly increases of 3%, until 2015, for a cumulative increase of 9,27%. Expanding on this, the ARCA membership is in agreement with the principle that fees should be paid, and be subject »»
Evolve or Perish: Media Arts Network of Ontario meets in Ottawa
ARCA Meets the Manitoba Artist-Run Centres Coalition Members
On December 5th, The Manitoba Artist-Run Centres' (MARCC) members gathered at Mentoring Artists for Women's Art (MAWA) for a meeting to cover quite a few topics. I attended the meeting in part to clarify the role of ARCA in advocacy, representation, research, and networking for the artist-run network across Canada. It was helpful to revisit why ARCA was formed in 2005 and why it was organised by regional associations (including two cultural associations). »Read more
ARCA @ National Service Arts Organisations (NASO) meeting in Ottawa
On Oct. 20-21, ARCA President Todd Janes, and Director Anne Bertrand, along with over 70 individuals representing National arts service organisations (NASO), attended the annual meeting with The Canada Council for the Arts. Extended by one day, the meeting’s agenda offered perspectives on the current situation at Council, a presentation of the new organisational development assistance program called Leadership for Change, a presentation on available web-based organisational development resources, a presentation of results of a survey polling NASOs on the services offered to their membership as well as their interest and motivation to meet yearly. »Read more
- La liste publiée par l'Association des groupes en arts visuels francophones (AGVAF) présente les nouvelles de ses... http://t.co/IjOn8lomc7 March 10, 2014 from Facebook
- Le portrait de notre excellent et dévoué groupe de leaders des centres d'artistes autogérés nous a fait franchir... http://t.co/jBp3cbXYhF March 06, 2014 from Facebook
- The portrait of ARCA's handsome artist-run leaders has grown our FB likes past the 500 mark. Thank you and welcome to the ARCA page! Engage! March 06, 2014 from Facebook
- Michael Snow Life and Work ebook by Martha Langford: start reading now http://t.co/VRhsqOwmbz March 05, 2014 from Facebook
- Governor General's Awards in Visual and Media Arts announced - congratulations from ARCA; Félicitations de l'ARCA... http://t.co/kXc9N6XZGf March 04, 2014 from Facebook
- Governor General awards recipients announced; CCA site crashes from all the tweets and retweets! http://t.co/xkNNisyVeU March 04, 2014 from Facebook
- ARCA can work on making the next list...maybe when it is updated to remove the organisations that are no longer... http://t.co/UUQ2gEWkUL March 03, 2014 from Facebook
- François Dion @Conseilartscan présente à @agavf le volet de développement de marché pour les communautés minoritaires #développement March 01, 2014 from Twitter for Android
- L'artiste Serge Murphy présente le projet l'Art visuel s'écrit aux membres de @agavf: l'art propose des questions #artsvisuels March 01, 2014 from Twitter for Android
- La présidente demande à l'assemblée des membres où serait cette collectivité sans les démarches de @agavf ? #legitime #artsvisuels March 01, 2014 from Twitter for Android