ARCA’s board of directors will be meeting in Montréal, on Thursday and Friday February 27 and 28 2014 at 2 Sainte-Catherine Est. Members of local artist-run centres are invited to meet ARCA’s representatives by joining them at the opening reception of Daniel Canty’s exhibition titled Bucky Ball at Artexte information centre on the Thursday February 27th at 5pm, and to join members of l’Association des groupes en arts visuels francophones (AGAVF) taking part in the jè-st’, festival d’art performatif et d’intervention (Moncton, septembre 2011) book launch at the Formats bookstore, next door. »Read more
The Artist-Run Centres and Collectives Conference (ARCA) will publish its first Online Directory of Artist-Run Centres in the fall of 2014. This Directory replaces the one that, until 2010, was published every four years by the Regroupement des centres d’artistes autogérés du Québec (RCAAQ). The online directory will introduce every artist-run centre and collective in Canada, and provide basic information and a direct link to each organization’s website for more complete information. The electronic format will facilitate regular updates, provide searchable fields, and ensure easy and free access to everyone, in both official languages.
Recently, Artexte has developed a unique open access digital repository for documents in the visual arts in Canada called e-artexte. The Publisher’s Toolkit, shared here in ARCA's resource page, provides an introduction to the platform, a user’s guide as well as additional information and resources.
What riding is your centre located in? Is your MP on the Heritage committee? Or is your MP one of the Heritage Department Critic?And, have you started thinking about Canada 's 150th anniversary celebrations? Read this fascinating report for a peek inside the Standing Committee on Canadian Heritage's meeting on the topic? To build relationships with your local political representatives and make the role of artist-run centres better known, you can get involved by...
Our colleagues at CARFAC National are asking the community to contribute to their fundraising campaign in support of their Supreme Court Appeal for the fair payment of artists at the National Gallery of Canada. As a collectivity that believes in the payment of artist fees, ARCA encourages those who can to donate generously. CARFAC & RAAV are also advocating for the inclusion of Artist’s Resale Right to the Canadian Copyright Act as has been done in at least 69 other countries. Why not show your support by sending your MP an email requesting his or her support for this bill?
ARCA has recently agreed, along with the museum associations (CMA and CAMDO) to extend the CARFAC fee schedule for another three years with yearly increases of 3%, until 2015, for a cumulative increase of 9,27%. Expanding on this, the ARCA membership is in agreement with the principle that fees should be paid, and be subject »»
Next ARCA Face-To-Face Meeting: February 27 & 28, 2014, Montréal
Results of the Arts 308 campaign and 2014 federal budget
The Canadian Coalition for the Arts has just ended the Arts 308 campaign launched last October. Described as the longest campaign ever conducted by the Coalition, it was successful in delivering key messages to 122 members of parliament either in person, or via social media. The federal budget has since been unveiled and reveals almost no changes to arts funding. »Read more
Evolve or Perish: Media Arts Network of Ontario meets in Ottawa
On November 15 -16, ARCA attended the Media Arts Network of Ontario (MANO) meeting titled Evolve or Perish, a title surely intended to provoke discussions on how the gathered media arts community is responding to The Canada Council for the Arts "change agenda". The two day long symposium, organised by recently appointed MANO director Ben Donahue and event coordinator Jane Kim was introduced by keynote speaker Clive Robertson. The symposium coincided with Galerie SAW Gallery ART STAR 5: Witness and Testify, a video art biennial providing participants with two evenings of curated shorts. »Read more
- Le centre Est-Nord-Est embauche: emploi d'été pour étudiant en archivistique; avant le 9 mai. http://t.co/gSi4G8gAy9 about 8 hours ago from Facebook
- The Artist-Run Centres and Collectives Conference (ARCA) will publish its first Online Directory of Artist-Run... http://t.co/VyTkLskWsM April 24, 2014 from Facebook
- Recently, Artexte has developed a unique open access digital repository for documents in the visual arts in... http://t.co/Nn5mnb1SJv April 24, 2014 from Facebook
- e-artexte est le dépôt numérique en libre accès consacré à la documentation des arts visuels au Canada. L’outil... http://t.co/drLpGQ1Fbr April 24, 2014 from Facebook
- (ARCA) mettra en ligne à l’automne 2014, son premier Répertoire des centres d’artistes autogérés numérique. Ce... http://t.co/gird4gN3KQ April 24, 2014 from Facebook
- Artist book commission and exhibition: Check it out! Commande de livres d'artistes: C'est peut-être pour toi? http://t.co/innRKhAzHx April 22, 2014 from Facebook
- Under Brault's leadership, will the Canada Council regain trust in artists's ability to self-determine and... http://t.co/2BWksYtwS3 April 16, 2014 from Facebook
- Tout un défi attend @simonbrault à tête de cette troupe d'acteurs indépendants mais travaillants; il doit s'en... http://t.co/fWviU0QNEB April 15, 2014 from Facebook
- Faudra aller sur le site du CAC pour avoir la nouvelle de la nomination de @simonbrault à la tête du CAC en... http://t.co/Pj8WthtcG6 April 14, 2014 from Facebook
- Simon Brault named as new Director of the Canada Council for the Arts | The Canada Council for... http://t.co/msQTbshSTu April 14, 2014 from Facebook